Sunday, April 8, 2012

Some things to remember about Alex

I'm sure one day we will look back and laugh about all the crazy stuff Alex does. He is high-energy, crazy and so cute. Now that we are approaching the big two years I have some mixed emotions. He is developing a personality that is so fun to interact with. He makes decisions and communicates what he wants. He is smart and so much fun to play with. He also has officially reached the terrible twos. He can throw a tantrum with the best of them. When he doesn't want to do something he will cry, yell, and fight until he gets his way. It is a lot of fun! Luckily his tantrums are usually few and far between. Here's to hoping this "phase" doesn't last too long.

Last week I was cleaning out our bedroom closet and Alex had a grand time playing in all the stuff I was taking out. He was playing with this teddy bear that Brandon had given me. Then all of a sudden he ran out of the room and came back with a diaper. I laughed as I watched him try and put the diaper on the teddy bear. After I helped him get it on, he carried it around calling it baby. It was so cute.

*Disclaimer: Alex is naked because every morning when I get him out of bed he has already taken his pajamas off. I usually wait until after breakfast to get him dressed so that he doesn't get food all over his clothes.








Next, Alex found our hats and had fun trying them on.








Alex also often puts the swim diapers on his legs and walks around with them around his ankles.

We also had an exciting adventure last week when Alex and I were home alone. A few weeks ago I remember telling Brandon to no longer go outside without keys because Alex is now tall enough to turn the locks on the doors. Well, sadly I didn't listen to my own advice. While Alex was playing in our family room I thought I would quickly run outside and bring in our garbage cans. When I came back to the door I discovered that Alex had locked the door. I had no keys and no cell phone. Because I am paranoid I always keep all the other doors and windows locked in our house. I tried for a minute to tell Alex to turn the lock. I could hear him trying but he was unable to turn it far enough. He kept running to our front window to look out at me. I think he thought we were playing a funny game. I realized that I would have to slink myself over to our neighbors house to call the Everitts to come let me in. At least we had thought enough ahead to give them a spare key. The other problem was that without my cell phone I only have two numbers memorized. So I would have to first call Brandon or Sarah to give me the Everitt's phone number. Then I remember that sometimes our garage door to our house doesn't always shut tight. It often blows open if you don't make sure the lock clicks. I figured it was worth a try. I opened our garage with our code, said a silent prayer and then pushed on the door. Even though it was locked it pushed open. I was so relieved! I ran into Alex and he gave me a big hug. I was only outside for about five minutes so I don't think he even knew anything was wrong. I was so glad I didn't have to call anyone and could get in to him quickly. I definitely learned my lesson and will always have keys and a cell phone when I go outside.


Finally, the past few weeks we have been trying to teach Alex about Jesus. I put a framed picture of Jesus in his room and will point to it and tell Alex who it is. However, whenever I ask Alex who it is he says, "Mama." No matter how many times I have said, "No, it's Jesus, " he still answers "Mama." It is one of the few times he even says the word Mama. I guess we will have to keep working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment